Checkout this inspiring documentary about style icon Iris Apfel, the 95-year old New Yorker is best known for decorating the rooms of nine U.S. Presidents, and for her more-is-more approach to personal style. She has single-handedly elevated dressing and accessorizing to an art form. This incredibly entertaining and colorful film makes me want to worship at the altar of this brilliant, determined icon. Directed by Albert Maysles the film covers a variety of smile producing topics. Here are some of my favorite moments:
- “No rules” is her golden rule. She says why bother? She’d only break them!
- Tips on shopping, Iris finds treasures in all kinds of interesting places – from swap meets to Palm Beach vintage shops and everything in between. She haggles like a champ and opens your mind to a whole new frontier in shopping.
- She is a rare find. Iris is a completely unique individual with a bright light of creativity, and inspiration shining through. She makes you feel good just watching her.
- Her closet is the "blob," which makes me feel so much better about my own. Her clothing and accessories can’t be contained to one closet, one room or even a single residence. It’s alive, and growing!
- It’s never too late to be a cover girl – here’s hoping! Checkout her cover and photo shoot for Dazed.
- The secret to longevity just might be LOVE. See her adorable interactions with her husband, Carl, whose 100th birthday makes the film.
- Iris dispenses valuable advice on plastic surgery and other subjects on aging.
Watch the trailer below. You can see the full film on Netflix.